Insight Meditation Society
The Insight Meditation Society (IMS) is a Buddhist organization located in Barre, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1975 by Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, and Joseph Goldstein, and is rooted in the Theravada tradition. It offers Buddhist meditation retreats at two facilities – the Retreat Center and the Forest Refuge – in rural central Massachusetts. The Retreat Center is one of the two largest vipassana centers in the United States.
The Mission Statement: IMS is a spiritual refuge for all who seek freedom from the suffering of mind and heart. We offer meditation retreats rooted in the Theravada Buddhist teachings of ethics, concentration and wisdom. These practices help develop awareness and compassion, giving rise to greater peace and happiness in the world.
It offers a full yearly schedule of over 25 meditation courses, ranging in duration from a weekend to three months. Most retreats run for 7-9 days.
- Address: 1230 Pleasant Street, Barre, MA 01005
- Tradition: Theravada (Vipassana)
- Affiliation: Barre Center for Buddhist Studies (MA)
- Website: http://www.dharma.org/
- Main Teachers: Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Slazberg, Steven & Michele Smith