Ninna-ji (仁和寺, Ninna-ji?) is a large Omuro-ha Shingon Buddhist temple complex in eastern Kyoto, Japan, founded in AD 888 by the retired Emperor Uda. It is part of the "Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto", a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
From 888 to 1869 it was traditional for reigning Emperors to send a son to the temple to take over as head priest when a vacancy arose.
Most of the surviving buildings date from the 17th century, and include a five-storey pagoda and a plantation of dwarf cherry trees. The temple itself features some beautifully painted screen walls, and a beautiful walled garden.
Behind the temple there is a miniature version of the renowned 88-temple pilgrimage in Shikoku.