Wat Phra Kaew
The temple complex of Wat Phra Kaew (Thai: วัดพระแก้ว) is located on Thanon Trairat in Tambon Wiang, Mueang district, Chiang Rai Province, Thailand.
Wat Phra Kaew was appointed the First Royal Temple of Chiang Rai on 31 May 1978 (B.E. 2521).
The founding of the what now known as Wat Phra Kaew in Chiang Rai is obscure. The temple was known as Wat Pa Yeah (วัดป่าเยี้ยะ or วัดป่าญะ), the Temple in the Golden Bamboo Forest, because it was in fact surrounded by this beautiful, useful bamboo, until 1434 (B.E. 1977) when its chedi was struck by lightning revealing the Phra Kaew Marakot image within. At that point its name changed to Wat Phra Kaew.