Ajahn Sujato (Anthony Best) is an Australian Buddhist Monk. He was a member of the Australian rock band, Martha's Vineyard (est. 1986). One album reached number 77 on the Australian charts. In 1994 he left his music career to take higher ordination in Thailand in the forest lineage of Ajahn Chah. As well as living for several years in forest monasteries and remote hermitages in Thailand, he spent three years in Bodhinyana Monastery (Perth) as secretary of Ajahn Brahmavamso, and over a year in a cave in Malaysia.
He has combined his love of meditation with study of the Buddha's Teachings, and in 2001 published his first book, "A Swift Pair of Messengers", a compilation of Sutta passages on the theme of tranquillity and insight. He has since published many books. He studies and teaches Buddhist texts from comparative and historical perspectives.
He served as founding Abbot of Santi Forest Monastery from 2003-2012.
See also: Ajahn Sujato quotes
Links associated with Ajahn Sujato
- Sutta Central
- Sutta Central discourse and discussion
- Blog: http://sujato.wordpress.com/
- Books: http://santifm.org/santipada/
- twitter: https://twitter.com/sujato
- http://cms.bodhinyana.org.au/ (Bodhinyana Monastery, Part of the Buddhist Society of Western Australia)
- http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/ (Buddhist Society of Western Australia)